A 3 year old girl from Oregon is recovering from swallowing 37 high powered magnets. As KPTV reports, after she ate the magnets they formed a dangerous ring inside her digestive tract. As the ring of magnets snapped together so did her intestines and in doing so ripped holes in both her small intestine and her stomach. Kelli Bushnell, Payton Bushnell’s mother, said after seeing an x-ray taken of her daughter and seeing a ring, they initially thought she had swallowed a bracelet. A report from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says there have been 22 cases of children swallowing magnets since 2009. The New York Times reported that swallowing a single magnet rarely poses problems, swallowing even just two can prove fatal. The Canadian government gives information on a site stating that once someone has swallowed more than one magnet, the magnets can travel through the intestines until they link up. Along the way they can create dangerous blockages and even slowly tear through the intestinal walls. Thankfully Payton Bushnell survived and is expected to make a full recovery. The Centers for Disease Control says accidental injuries are the leading cause of death for children ages 1-4, beating out disease, birth defects, infections and other illnesses combined. Accidents continue to be our biggest threat until about age 24. If you or a loved one have been injured contact experienced attorneys Zneimer and Zneimer for a free personal injury consultation. Payton’s parents will be keeping a closer eye on their daughter and said they have come forward with their story as a warning for other parents.
Buckeyballs has released a statement on their website;