TV’s and Dressers: A Danger to Your Children

A 2 year old Aurora girl was hurt in her home over the weekend when a TV fell on top of her. Unfortunately such stories have been in the news much too often recently. The toddler, Aurora police said, had a boxlike TV fall from a bookshelf onto her in the 100 block of South Union Street. The girl’s 18 year old uncle was babysitting her and 3 other children at the time. The uncle was also looking after an 18 month old boy, a 17 month old girl, and a 6 year old boy said Police spokesman Dan Ferrelli. The uncle was looking after the 17 month old in the living room while the other children were in another room. He then heard a loud noise and went to check on the children, he found the 2 year old lying under a 20 inch TV. The TV was on top of a cabinet and was not bolted to the wall. The girl was taken to an area hospital around 2:50 p.m. and was later airlifted to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge. Thankfully the hospital determined she had no fractures and her injuries were not life threatening. Police do not suspect foul play and will not charge the uncle. Thankfully this child was not seriously hurt but it’s an incident that has become too common. Although accidents such as these are preventable victims should take the time to learn their legal rights. Experienced attorneys at Zneimer & Zneimer can guide you through learning your legal rights should you experience a similar situation. Contact Zneimer & Zneimer p.c. for a free personal injury consultation.

There have been other victims of falling TV’s including Gianna Hadjis, 4, the girl was killed in January after a television in her home fell on her head. A 1 year old boy from the Roseland neighborhood also died when a TV fell on him the afternoon of February 7th. Arvey Levinsohn of A&H Childproofers said TVs and dressers can be dangerous no matter how sturdy they appear to be.

Contact Information